Monday, December 16, 2013

Mixed Media Salt Dough Ornaments

Hello everyone!  Christmas is almost here...are you ready???  I am except for the cooking and celebration.  I love crafting this time of year, it's just so fun with all the great products you can buy at Christmas.  I love making my own decorations for my home and being creative with lights and my tree. Today I want to share a fun project made with Salt Dough, paint, Inka and a couple other misc items.  I spent Sunday morning painting and decorating these fun ornaments! This project can be done with your kids or grand kids...It's like making cookies only you can't eat them, and they will last longer. The memories you make will be worth it!  I'll be giving these ones away as gifts to my office friends. If you have some extra time these would be a fun project to try.





So here's what you'll need to make these

Salt Dough Recipe (makes about 20- 25 large ornaments)
2 cups of flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water

Home Made Sealer:  glitter glue

White Household  glue (elmers)
Glitter (You can add as much  or little as you like but be aware that adding too much will be hard to spread over your ornaments.)
Note: You can also just buy some Modge Podge with glitter in it. I wanted everything home made and I didn't have to run out into the crowded stores to buy.

Additional items
Viva Inka
Paint in various colors (I used 20 different Creative Inspirations Paints)
Gemstones or decorations of choice
Ribbon
Rubber stamps
cookie cutter of choice

glue gun 
skewer

Directions: 

Mix your Salt Dough
Roll out, not too thick. It will take longer to bake and dry ornaments.
Using your rubber stamp, stamp on dough until covered with pattern.
Using your cookie cutter,  cut out ornaments
poke a hole in the ornament for your ribbon 
Bake in oven at 200 degrees.
When your ornaments are cooled paint them with a base color
When the paint is adhere gems to ornament I used a glue gun
Rub with Inka (I used 3 different colors of Inka)

Seal with glitter glue ! Tie ribbon through the hole your punched.  Hang on your tree or give away as I'm doing!
Easy Peasy!! 

I'm sure these can also be made with polymer clay but I chose the Salt Dough...it's super cheap and I already had them on hand. No need to run out and buy a ton of  clay which can be expensive if you have a lot of ornaments to make.

Hope you enjoyed this fun project!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.
Debbie


1 comment: